Oxalis montana

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

aka common wood sorrell - my first time photographing the flower although I’ve been aware of the plant growing all over in certain woods. If I can stand the bugs I’ll go back when more of it is blooming since there are carpets of the stuff. When I was in this area yesterday I saw three flowers. Three. But now I know the timing better and can try again next week.

The flowers look very like Spring beauty, but obviously the plant is quite different. It likes rich woods that stay damp and folks say it is hard to grow in gardens. I’ve photographed mushrooms in the leaves before and it works great to simplify a busy forest floor if you can get the right angle.

Specific Feedback

Some creative techniques in the field and in post to make this feel like you’re on the forest floor - success?

Technical Details

Tripod & LED panel off to the side

Lr for initial work to balance tonalities and add some sharpness and texture. A slight rotational crop then into Photoshop to do some blurring, color shift for better harmony, distraction removal and a Freehand Vignette in the TK8 panel.

1 Like

Kris: I love the separation from the BG that you have here and the nice color contrast. My less than 1 cent nit is the dark spot on the leaf to the left of the flower. At first I thought it might be a dust bunny but probably not at this f-stop. Whatever its origin I do think I would make it go away. Still a wonderful find and great capture. >=))>

Hi Kris,
wow, that is a really beautiful small scene. This little flower has a beautiful shape and great colors. It is a shame that it is easy to overlook it in the forest.

The leaf in the LLC is quite dominant. I tried cropping the image at the left edge, but I did not find a satisfactory result.

Here is what I did:

• Cooling down the leaf in the LLC
  • Burning the leaf in the LLC and some other leaves at the edges
  • Desaturating the red background in the ULC
  • Desaturating and burning the yellow background in the URC

I would like to see the leaves on the right edge of the picture not cut off.Do you maybe have some more space there?

Hey nice job @Jens_Ober and great eye, @Bill_Fach - thanks for taking a look and making good suggestions. Unfortunately with ground cover plants you have to cut off somewhere and that’s all the room I have on the right. I’m planning to go back in a couple days to see if any more is blooming so who knows what I’ll find. Maybe I can come up with some different ways to frame these flowers. The plants literally blanket the woods in this area. It’s so beautiful.

Kris, the flower certainly pops against the dark greens of the leaves. Your photo brings home the value of seeing at the forest floor.

Thanks @Mark_Seaver - my natural habitat is the forest floor sometimes! I hope I can work more with these now I think I understand their bloom timing more. I wish it grew in the yard, but we can’t have everything.