Tell me a secret

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Another gorgeous little wood sorrell blossom, this time growing on a log - stupid tripod tricks necessary to get this as well as an LED panel off ot one side. I love the markings to guide pollinators.

Specific Feedback

My intention was to keep things darker and more intimate since these are very small flowers on a low-growing ground cover. By the time they bloom, full canopy is in place and it’s very dim and shady down there. Does this come across ok?

Technical Details

Crazy tripod position & LED panel to bring up some texture
Highlight-weighted metering

Lr for basic management of the luminosity - raised blacks, shadows, exposure and whites, lowered highlights. Added global texture. Used a variety of masks to direct light and sharpness. Photoshop for some distraction removal. Cropped to this aspect ratio in the end.

4 Likes

Wow – this is a gorgeous capture! The cool, damp, dark forest floor comes across very well with the soft tonalities and the well-managed whites. The leaves are in a very pleasing arrangement, giving an almost wide-angle look to the composition. The variability in lighting across the leaves is a very nice touch and the DOF is excellent. No suggestions!!

Kris, you did really well with the lighting on this one. As @Diane_Miller mentioned, the cool, damp, dark forest floor comes across well. I too like the markings on the bloom that helps direct the pollinators. Well done.

Kris, what a lovely and captivating composition you used for this image. I like the empty and dark space in the LRC giving ample light to the leaf arrangement and wood sorrell flower. The lighting is simply magical. The rich and lush green hue is perfect, too.

Thanks @Diane_Miller, @Shirley_Freeman & @Egídio - glad this works and that you like the somewhat limited amount of leaves included in this one. Either they are small patches of these or big swaths, not much in between. The light is a nice tool that I’ll be breaking out again if we get mushrooms. As I’ve been out of state for a few days, I’ve heard it’s rained a few times since and I’m hopeful for some fungi! The constant light source is a nice way to bring out modeling and texture.

3 Likes

Kris: The color palette/contrast immediately caught my eye. What a pleasing combo and a fine comp and capture. Most excellent. >=))>

Thanks @Bill_Fach - it was a little hard trying to distill the essence of these tiny guys so I’m glad it came across successfully.