Renewal

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

An oldie rediscovered this week and processed yesterday.

Specific Feedback

I cropped this a fair amount all around, so I have more canvas, though it tends to go a bit soft toward the top and bottom, so suggestions for other possible crops are welcome. I did clean up a few of the brightest fir needles, but left most of them-more cleanup anywhere?

Technical Details

Canon 5DIII, EF 180 mm f/3.5 macro, f/8, 1/640, iso 2000, processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 4482x1625. Taken August 28, 2013 at 2:51 PM.

Oh just look at those tiny seedlings! I love it. They look as though they’re hiding from the elements in there. Amazing how often during the lifecycle of trees that they feed themselves with themselves or others. Like how oak leaves fall in two cycles with both being key to being turned into energy for the same tree that shed them.

Anyway…sorry. None of the old needles look intrusive to me and all my attention is on those bright green drops of hope. I wonder if cutting the pointy bit on the left would work to add an element of symmetry.

Good idea, Kris. I’ll look at that after lunch and nap.

Dennis,

I like the texture you’ve captured in the old wood, and the new shoots create an interesting story.

Rob

Dennis: Well if you’re not discovering mushrooms you’re finding cool stuff like this. Great find with the fresh seedlings and the decaying wood. Great life cycle image and very pleasing in every way. Bravo! >=))>

Hi Dennis, this is a really cool find and well presented as a story. I have seen this take place many times but usually the log is darker and the seedlings didn’t stand out as well. I like the composition…the upper and lower parts of the log create a window to view the seedlings through. My attention is drawn to that stick with vegetation on it but it’s not really a distraction because it blends in so well.