Final Approach

No Cropped

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

I like the flowers with good color contrast and with bees this color works well.

Creative direction

Showing the peacefulness on bees collecting the pollen.

Specific Feedback

I posted what I thought would work well as a square crop. I also posted the uncropped version to see what others would think would work well.

Technical Details

R7 RF 100-500 at 428mm 1/320 f/14 iso 1600. I selected the background and reduced exposure and desaturated the color some.

Description

I have been focusing on bees in flight and learned how they approach the flower. Sometimes I will see a bee and follow her upwards being ready the capture that angle when the bee is best.

Dean, I am sorry I have been slow to make any comments. We were at our Niece’s house for Thanksgiving yesterday, and I wasn’t trusting me to make a comment after we got home (I got my right and left mixed up on one of your photos recently trying to do that).

Anyway, I like the flowers too. What a lovely color. And kudos to you for learning how the bees approach a flower and being able to capture them in flight. I have struggled with that. Did you use your new flash for this one?

I am wondering if maybe a 4X5 crop of the original, cropping a good bit from the left, a touch from the top and bottom if needed to place that gorgeous bee in a good location would be better than the tight square crop? It would give us more of a sense of the bee’s environment I think. Just a thought. It is a good image the way it is presented. Wonderful details in both the been and the flowers. Really well done.

Hi Dean. Great job on the depth of field with beautiful detail in the bee. As for the crop, the square feels a bit awkward to me as it cuts off the right edge of what looks to me like the destination flower. Here’s my stab at a crop. Not necessarily better, but just a little different. I do like keeping it fairly tight for this one, especially since all the action is on the right side of the frame.

1 Like

Good catch on the bee – not easy to do! I think @Dennis_Plank nailed the crop!

I also like the crop that @Dennis_Plank did. How do you like your new flash? It will probably take some getting used to. Mine came a few minutes ago. I bought it used, but I guess because the box was bent they sold it as used. It is brand new! I haven’t used it yet, but it should work just fine. I need to look at that video again that I gave you the link to. I haven’t used this flash the way it was designed to be used, so I too have some getting used to. Wish you the best.

Thanks for the feedback, @Shirley_Freeman, @Diane_Miller, and @Dennis_Plank. I usually prefer the 2x3 crop because it frames well, this was helpful. @Shirley_Freeman, I really like the flash but I am limited to 1/250 exposures. When something is moving faster I have need a faster exposure. That is when I use the canon flash. Most of the time I don’t need anything faster than 1/250. I attach the way I setup when using the canon flash. It works pretty well.

I like your setup with the Canon flash. Well diffused. I tried something similar the other day with my Canon flash. I was always under the impression that the flash stops action and so the shutter speed just mainly would be adjust to accommodate the amount of ambient light you wish to have included in your image.

I am so bummed that my new KX-800 only has one side working. I have to return it and purchase the new one. B&H is closed right now, so can’t even talk to anyone. It looked brand new, still had those pieces of plastic over the back screen and the red plastic in front. The flash box was damaged a little, but the outside shipping box was fine, so they sent it that way.

Glad to hear that you like the flash.