Bumble Approach

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Photographing in the botanical gardens always brings surprises. I found this bee coming to the flower I was waiting at. These are beautiful bees and do not stay at the flowers very long.

Specific Feedback

Cropping and anything else.

Technical Details

r6mii rf 100-400 at 400mm 1/640 f/10 iso 1600

Dean, I’m so glad that you are still getting the bees. I haven’t been to a botanical garden in a few years, but probably even if I could go the bees aren’t going to be posing at this time of year in NC. I’m sure your botanical garden’s hours puts you in the harsh light, so maybe a flash would have helped with that as well as the stop action it would have provided. I am thinking that the softness of the bee is because the shutter speed was at 1/640. Some of those bees can be fast. At f10 I would think you would have plenty of DOF to work with, so I am guessing that could be the issue. I like the composition just fine, it works for me.

I think the bee look sharp enough that I don’t think you’d need full-on flash, Dean, but I do think this image would have benefited from some fill flash to hep subdue the harshness and light up the bee. I’ve never tried fill flash on macro subjects, but I think it would still work.

1 Like