Close Approach

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Was at the Botanical Gardens in Tucson after some bee photos. Spring flowers were around and I like color contrast when it comes to bees

Specific Feedback

The abdomen is a little soft, but not sure if it matters. I was in line of sight with the flowers waiting for a bee to fly by. Are the flowers a little bright.

Technical Details

Canon R6ii RF 100-500 at 500mm f/16 1/800 ISO 1000. HH

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Very, very nice, Dean. Our local county fair has a bee mascot this year and the photo contest includes a “Best Portrayal of the Mascot” category. I’ve been trying for bees with most limited success and I think I’ve learned something from this post on how to go about it. I’ve been trying to use a macro lens, so maybe I should get out my birding system!

The flowers look right to me in this image and I don’t mind the slight softness of the abdomen.

Very nice focus on the bee, Dean. really don’t see hardly any softness the little hairs look crisp. And the flowers look inviting. Nice 500 mm handheld shot.

Okay, I am jealous, Dean! You captured this little guy in flight so nicely over the flowers.

Dean: Great catch and terrific use of your long lens. Most excellent. >=))>

Thank you for the feedback, @Dennis_Plank , @Shirley_Freeman , @Bill_Fach , @Stephen_Stanton. I am seeing what standard settings work best and then save it in the camera. It varies a lot with the lighting

1 Like