Bee well focused on the next flower updated

Updated

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Spring day at the Arizona desert museum looking for bees too photograph. I was looking for bees in flight and found this one heading to the flower.

Specific Feedback

This is the cropped version as I was further away from my subject. I did that to help remove the busy brush. Should I come in more, I was trying to leave room on the direction the bee came from.

Technical Details

R6 ii RF 100-500 at 500mm 1/640 f/16 ISO 1000 HH no flash

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

Great focus on the bee and especially the head Dean. I really like the blurred wings. I don’t think it hurts, but I don’t think you need the extra space behind the bee. It might balance the overall image a bit better if you took very small crops off the top/bottom and the left side (behind the bee). I like the BG and the colors and textures of the flower are very nice.

I agree with Ed that you could take a touch off the left and top here, Dean, but it does work quite well as-is. I think this is one you can reformat to different aspect ratios without hurting the composition.

Hi Dean,

Crop a little from the left and everything else looks good. BG is soft enough to not take anything away from the subject. Well done…Jim

Dean, the sharpness of the bee and the flower look great. The background is nicely oof as it adds interesting colors and textures. I agree that a bit more cropping should work…maybe even going to a 4x5 frame… I like your idea of having the flower and bee somewhat off center.

What a fine honey bee capture! I agree about massaging the cropping a bit but WHAT an image. Well done.

Thanks @Dennis_Plank , @Ed_Williams , @Dave_Douglass , @Mark_Seaver , @Jim_Zablotny . I took your suggestions

1 Like

Nice job, Dean.

Dean: I like the cropped version a lot. In the original I would have preferred more room on the right side vs what you had on the left behind the bee. I also like your SS which gave you a sharp head and the blurred wings. One of your best bee shots IMO. Well done. >=))>