All Fall Down

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

Can you imagine living here?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

A settler’s log cabin is slowly falling down upon itself in the Manning Bottoms/Pugh Coulee region within the Slippery Ann Elk Viewing Area of the Charles M. Russell NWR. A more recent cabin in the background appears to be in better condition but the roof is showing serious damage.

Technical Details

Apple iPhone 13 ProMax; 1.57mm-9mm @ 5.7mm; f/1.5 @ 1/4000 sec, ISO 50

Specific Feedback

Anything distracting or appears to be unrealistic? would you feel comfortable walking into this area as I did?

It would have been an interesting place to set up housekeeping when that foreground cabin was built, Bob. I really like the contrast of the spring meadow with the two derelict buildings from distinctly different eras and I like the idea of having the older one in the foreground (mainly because it has a lot more character).

Thank you @Dennis_Plank for you kind remarks. Like so many of my images this represents a discovery on a detour. One never knows what to expect when diverted from where and how you originally set out to.

Wonderful scene, Bob. Our nostalgic sides think of this as a simpler time, but in truth, it was a hard way to live. I really like the composition and colors. Nice to see you back here too.