All White Weasel

I never thought I’d see a fully white weasel. In winter, long-tailed and short-tailed weasel fur color does change to white (which helps with camouflage and insulation, as the white hairs are hollow), but they maintain a black tip on their tail.

So it took seeing a long-tailed that had lost the tip of its tail to finally get one with an all-white coat. As a bonus, there was a second weasel, complete with black tip, running around in this spot at the exact same time. Easy to tell apart, even if we never had them together in the same frame.

Canon 1DXII
Canon 600mm + 1.4x
ISO 2000
1/5000th
f/5.6

Max

@maxwaughphoto

3 Likes

They’re so cute and wicked fast. At first I was bummed that the animal wasn’t to the right with room to run into so to speak, but I think this emphasizes just how quick they are. You nearly didn’t catch it at all! Great job and the white on white is just perfect. If you look at my intro thread you’ll see my one and only shot of an ermine.

1 Like

Max, the “all whiteness” is quite striking, I was wondering about it’s black tip. Having the track and catching the weasel in mid-air makes this a special view of a hard to catch critter.

1 Like

The weasels are so fast, I’m amazed you were able to catch it in the frame. Well done.

1 Like

Awesome photo, Max! I love how the weasel is jumping out of the frame. Like he’s challenging you to just try capturing his photo! You won! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback. I’m glad some of you caught what I was going for with the composition. I sometimes opt for these subject placements that go against the usual “more room in front” look to emphasize the speed and movement of the subject.

Wow. Tough shot. 840mm and trying to find a white on white weasel racing around must have taken some skill. Nice and sharp and I like the footprints. Composition is great.