Long-Tailed Weasel

I’m finally wrapping up editing the photos from my Yellowstone trip in January. It was definitely the best winter trip I’ve ever taken to the park. The second half was spent leading a tour (which was just as good as my solo week), with one of the highlights provided by two weasels dashing around the same hillside.

This was the second of the two (they were easy to differentiate, as the first was missing the black tip of its tail), and was quite the effective hunter. Over the course of an hour, it caught at least four voles. It had been a few years since I’d had a weasel encounter, and I’d forgotten how incredibly fast they are. Such a challenging subject. Thankfully, having a prolonged encounter with multiple subjects meant at least a few photos would turn out okay.

Incidentally, I really struggled with my snow tones throughout the editing process this time. I probably need to recalibrate my monitor, but I hope this looks “normal” for everyone.

Canon 1DXII
Canon 600mm + 1.4x
ISO 1600
1/1000th
f/7.1

Max

*NOTE to the editors/admins: an “Avian” tag keeps getting added automatically to this post for some reason. Even after I try to edit the post and delete the tag, it reappears.

6 Likes

I have nothing but awe for wildlife photographers. The patience! This is such a lovely capture. The contrast between the dark vole and the weasel and how that balances with the black in the weasel’s tail, works wonderfully well. I also love how you’ve caught the weasel “flying” in mid stride. There is just enough shadow below the weasel and in his wake behind to give a nice sense of context. Wonderful.

1 Like

This is just awesome, Max! Your timing on this one was perfect, he’s perfectly airborne, not one paw in the snow. I’m jealous!

1 Like

Oh, what a great wildlife photo. It shows interesting animal behavior, in context, and in an aesthetically pleasing way.

1 Like

This is a wonderful image. Tough to capture. I shot some of these in January 2019. Speedy little creatures and white on white doesn’t make the task any easier. Nicely done!

1 Like

So glad to hear that your trip to Yellowstone this winter was the best ever. I know that was enjoyable. Such a great shot, Max. Fast and white on white had to be a difficult thing to accomplish, but you nailed it.

1 Like

Thanks, everyone. And since nobody’s mentioned the white balance, maybe my monitor’s not too far out of whack.

Those of you who have photographed weasels before know that far too many shots turn out more like this:

Max

4 Likes

Excellent capture of this swift creature !
It is really a challenge to capture this kind of action for both, the man and the machine.

Cheers !

1 Like

Max: this is an excellent capture of an incredibly fast moving animal made even more difficult by the white on white of subject and background. It’s a wall hanger. Congrats!! Richard

1 Like

White on white separation is very tough - nicely done and great action to boot - I had no such luck this Jan

1 Like

Fantastic shot, Max, what else can I say? :star_struck:

1 Like