Alligator Flag Bloom

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Alligator Flag is a broad-leafed plant found in all of the swamps I frequent here in FL. In the summer and fall, long stalks emerge, terminating in lavender petals. I’ve always found the zig-zag at the end of the stalk interesting, but the background where these plants are located is generally very busy and I usually don’t have a flash with me to isolate the subject. I was lucky to spot this fresh bloom on a long stalk that was hanging over the trail, but it was windy and somewhat shaded, so a relatively high ISO and shutter speed were used.

Technical Details

Olympus OMD EM1 Mark II, Olympus 300mm f4 at f5.6, 1/800, ISO 1600. Processed with NR in PS. Burned the lower part of the OOF base of the stalk in the BG. Cropped only the width to achieve a 9x16 aspect ratio due to the shape of the subject (and also because I often shoot with 9x16 in mind to match the aspect ratio of my Samsung Frame TV with a rotating mount which can display my photos either landscape or portrait).

Gorgeous image, Ron and a really cool plant. While 9x16 suits a lot of modern equipment, this feels just a bit crowded on the left for my taste. You could probably get away with adding a thin slice on the left and taking the same off the right. It does feel like a tall-skinny frame suits it.

Ron: What a wonderful subject and one I’ve never seen before. For me the OOF stem competes with this beauty and doesn’t add much. I made it go away with a quick and dirty content aware for your consideration. Nicely found and superbly captured.>=))>

Thank you for interest and suggestion, Bill. Your point is well taken. I left the stem in because it was an integral component of my memory and because I felt it lended some balance to the composition. Those stems can be very tall and the flower dangles down from the very long, tall stem. Of course, most who would look at the image have no knowledge of that and would likely feel the same way you did. Much appreciated!