Almost ready to harvest

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Last week I returned from an 1800 km bike hike, with my wife. Cycling is great to enjoy the landscape and meet people, but not the best way to capture good images I’m afraid. But this one I like and I think it fits the description of this week’s challenge.
We were very lucky with the weather, but this day was cloudy and the threat of a storm continued all day. Fortunately we stayed dry and the rain poured down after we set up the tent.

By the way, I saw the first harvested wheat fields in mid June. In the past, end of July or August was normal. See how climate change affects everything.

Specific Feedback

Any and all. The image is still fresh and has some emotional value because of the recent trip, so an unbiased eye is very welcome.

Technical Details

Olympus Stylus 1S, ISO100, f/7.1, 1/800sec, 28mm (FF equivalent).
RAW file converted in DxO PL6, some small disturbing elements, mainly long grasses, in the FG removed.

Wow, that sounds like a long bike ride. Storms and camping!!? No wonder you’re still caught up in the emotion of it. This looks pretty cool, but like you had to be there. I always struggle with a way into scenes like these if I wasn’t there to photograph it and when I do take a shot like it, I have a hard time processing it in a way that makes it accessible to a viewer. The mass of grain at the bottom is pretty uniform and the sky so far away that it presents as blocked off. Even at 1/800 sec it looks as though it was plenty windy and I like the movement, but the bits of sharpness inside looks a bit strange somehow. Maybe lifting the mid tones would make this a bit snappier. Hm. Like I said, these kinds of shots always flummox me.

Thank you @Kris_Smith for your comment! I understand what you mean. About the technical aspect (1/800 sec exposure): the image was shot with a compact camera, and I must admit that I wasn’t in the mode of squeezing as much as possible out of the opportunity. On the other hand: there was not much to do better with the small Oly.
I had my doubts about the image: not interesting enough? The lack of response means probably yes. I’ll follow your suggestion and work on the mid tones a bit.

The ride took me from home to the base of the Pyrenees mountain range. Great way to see rural France and lots of unexpected and little known midieval towns, old dungeons, churches and different wines and cheeses every 30 miles :slight_smile:

No problem, Han. A few of my image posts are hanging out there, too, and it can be disheartening so even if I can’t put my finger on why a photo doesn’t grab me, I try to articulate it.

The ride sounds amazing - the idea of those tiny towns…not the dungeons maybe, but that kind of ancient rural setting would just about be heaven.

Oh and I don’t think it’s the small camera’s fault at all. Most of them are quite capable and with the right scene and the right skills, produce excellent photos. I followed a photographer on flickr back in the day and then finally met her and became friends and she shot with a Canon compact and everyone was amazed. It was her knowledge and vision that brought out the best in it. This scene is just a tough one though in person I bet it was pretty grand.

1 Like