Along the Edge

This image was taken in my backyard along the edge of where it butts up to the woods. I planted two ferns several years ago and they are starting to take over some of the open area; which was my intent; between the azaleas and the adjoining woods. I was wondering if you folks think the azalea feels cut off. There are a couple of walnut trees just to the left which have quite a bit of lean outward seeking the sunlight so I did not include in this image, but did with a couple of others. It is about time for me to replant a few of the ferns into another area so they can fill it in also.

Specific Feedback Requested

All C&C welcome

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D800, Nikon 35-70 @ 44mm, f 16 2 1/25 sec, ISO 800CPL, cable release & tripod

3 Likes

It doesn’t feel cut off to me…the tree on the right balances pretty well to avoid that. The ferns are so lush and I like the soft shadow on them in the middle. You might try emphasizing the branches coming from the right somehow…not sure if that would improve the flow or just confuse things. Maybe the latter … I want to look at the ferns most of all here. Nice yard!

The azalea doesn’t feel cut off at all. What struck me right away was the gestures of the azalea and ferns, pointing into the frame. We’re kept in the frame on the right by the strong trees. The bit of space between the trees and the right edge of the frame sort of catches my eye. I could see cropping to 5:7, so the trees were cut off. That would balance the cut off azaleas, I think. And I’m very jealous of your backyard!

1 Like

Ed, always good to work in your garden even with your camera. It frames the beauty !
I am with Bonnie about the cropping .

Ed, the azaleas do not fell cut off to me. Overall the comp feels well balanced, as @Bonnie_Lampley said, everything points to the center. But there are a lot of interesting elements along the edges too, and my eye does not get trapped in the center. Regarding the space between the tree and the right edge, it’s the bright wedge that catches my eye. You might try burning that highlight down as an alternative to cropping.

The processing looks great, you have really done a good job of capturing the lushness of spring. I’m now more convinced than ever that we need to do a Northeast Nature Photographers field trip to your backyard !!!

Those lush greens are really eye candy. I like how you’ve framed the image to make it feel like you were out in the woods and not your back yard. I don’t feel the azaleas are cut off and I would leave the tree although I would tone down the bright areas up there as Ed suggests.

Many thanks to those folks @Kris_Smith, @Bonnie_Lampley, @Ben_van_der_Sande, @Ed_McGuirk and @Michael_Lowe for taking a moment to leave a thought as it is always appreciated. This little area is my happy spot when the azaleas are in bloom and their colors compliment the green of the ferns. I got a couple of images this particular day, but then we had about a week of windy days so by then the blooms were pretty much gone from the azaleas. No big deal I thought as there is always the ferns to shoot. Then I discovered my youngest grandson had decided to take a stroll through the area and wrecked havoc on the ferns. Fortunately they will grow back, but no more images until next May.
@Kris_Smith : I will play around with trying to lighten the leaves of the tree just a bit and see what I come up with.
@Bonnie_Lampley : I will try a crop and compare it to darkening or cloning some darken greens in that wedge and see which I like better.
@Ed_McGuirk : I have a couple of nice areas in the yard; when things are in bloom; to photograph, but folks would probably be bored after an hour or so. Mike and I both have had our covid shots so I am hoping we can make it up north this year.
@Ben_van_der_Sande and @Michael_Lowe : I will work on that and see what I can come up with.

Lovely photo! The composition seems great as is. I think the tree on the right helps balance the azaleas on the left. My only nit is that to my eye the greens seem a bit over saturated. Of course, I don’t live where you do and they might be actually that green…