Alternative Fall Colors

Sitting on the shore of Manzanita Lake in Lassen National Park (northern California) last weekend, just enjoying the last day of mild weather (it’s raining now - hallelujah!). There was a slight breeze ruffling the water and the willows provided this crazy pattern.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any critique welcome. This is just a fun photo - I love watching the rippling water and seeing the patterns that emerge.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
a7r3, 105mm, f/11, 1/125s, ISO 800, hand held. Processed in ACR & PS - cropped, dodging & burning, color adjustments.

7 Likes

Very interesting, and lovely. There are some very unexpected patterns here with lines converging on squarish shapes in a number of places – don’t think I’ve ever noticed something like that in reflections. Then lower-frequency lines (sky and other features) make an interesting pattern for the squarish shapes to fall into.

1 Like

This is quite beautiful, Bonnie. I really like the kaleidoscope feeling. Great catch.

1 Like

Bonnie,

I saw this and immediately recognized it as your work. You seem to have a wonderful knack for finding and seeing these unique water reflections. As @David_Bostock mentioned this has the Kaleidoscope look that is really unique. I would have expected this to come from a stream or river and not a lake.

1 Like

This is like stained glass on drugs :grinning: You have a knack for these abstract water images Bonnie, this image is very surreal, and i mean that in a good way.

1 Like

Thanks, @Diane_Miller, @David_Bostock, @Alan_Kreyger, and @Ed_McGuirk for your thoughts.

:rofl: :rofl:

I think it looks this way because of the really dense willow stems. Even though the ripples were gentle, there was a lot of “action” because there were so many stems.

A great water reflection image. You could sit for a long time zooming in and out to study the different patterns! A minor thing, but I would have cropped a little bit tighter at the top, there is a tiny horizontal slice of water with a different calmer apperance.

1 Like

I just love the abstract qualities you captured here Bonnie.

1 Like

Mesmerizing. And I mean that in the best possible sense.

Love this, Bonnie! I agree with @Ed_McGuirk that it looks like stained glass. Beautiful fall colors captured in the rippling reflection!