Fall Reflections

While everyone else was ogling the grand landscape and cool reflections in Crystal Lake above Ouray, Colorado, I spotted a small backwater downhill of the dam. The plant oils on the water surface were reflecting the subtle colors of the early morning light. Combined with the scatter of fallen leaves and the reflection of a willow, it was an irresistible scene.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments welcome. I’ve already made some edits suggested by David K. (this was made on a David & Jennifer workshop), so I’m pretty happy with it as is.

Technical Details

a7r3, 220mm, f/11, 1/100s, ISO 800, hand held, probably had the polarizer on.

5 Likes

Hi Bonnie, the high key processing gives this a nicely pastel feeling. I also get a sense of depth to it as well. Very cool. Great work.

1 Like

Love this image and it’s very Bonniesque. What I like is that it feels like tree leaves are being blown from their branches by a strong wind. It has a sense of motion without actual real motion. The leaves are actually on the surface of the water rather than in the air. I find that to be very creative. Usually photographers try to show motion with slow shutter speeds that create a blur which sometimes looks like motion but rarely does. It’s also a very impressionistic image so sharpness is not the issue it might be otherwise.

1 Like

Super cool!! I love the interplay between the actual surface detail and the reflections! Great seeing and presentation!

1 Like

Beautiful, surreal image Bonnie. I love all the attributes described by the others and also how much open space you have in your composition.

1 Like

Wow, Bonnie. Your photo has a wonderful dreamscape feel, a kind of place I would love to visit. Very nicely seen and captured.

Kudos on looking for the not-so-obvious beauty. I’m not very good at that, but trying to improve. This may not be the social media attention grabber that the bigger scenes might be, but I love the artistry and it’s a true joy to sit and appreciate as I sip my coffee. No suggestions; I like it as is.

1 Like

Lovely pastel colors Bonnie. I am enjoying the floating leaves and sweeping willow reflections.

1 Like

Bonnie, The longer I look the more I enjoy this amazing image ! It is so different, that’s why I think.

1 Like

Thanks everyone! I’m glad you all enjoy this.

Igor’s comment about sharpness did make me LOL!

I’m not sure I can add much to what has already been said but I had to tell you how much I’m just enjoying this image and your description of how it took place. I love that. It is very painterly and the pastel colors really showcase that feeling. The surface oils sure worked their magic. I LOVE this image Bonnie!

1 Like

Love this image! I don’t have anything else to say that hasn’t already been said. Just a spectacular image and one to be proud of.

1 Like

Oh wow, this is beautiful! I really don’t have much to say other than that I really love this. Fantastic work Bonnie!

1 Like

Ditto! And this is a compliment of course! You have a unique vision and special gift. Always enjoy the images you see, capture and then post!

As usual it took a moment - actually multiple views to understand this is an entire reflection which explains the “fuzzy” branches bottom-center. And with many abstracts there seem to be alternative views… I was thinking of a crop that elimited that little patch of reflection “reality” (branch, leaves, blue sky) in the UR quadrant.

Just a thought and not sure it’s worth diminishing what you’re presented. The subtle blue/gold color combo is wonderful. And so, just a wonderful image.

Lon

Thanks, Lon. I didn’t consider this to be an abstract, more of a small scene. I really liked those upper branches.