50 Shades of Orange

It wasn’t really a banner year for fall color in the valley, although I was a bit later than usual and there was a cold snap in late October that really killed much of the color, especially in the black oaks. When things aren’t what you expect, one is challenged to find other things. On this trip, I spent much of it looking for abstracts, reflections and did a lot of motion blurs (ICM.) Now this image is a straight reflection image, no blurring. It’s cropped a little with minimal processing.

Thanks! Any and all comments and feedback welcome!

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Processing of course. Colors, contrast, sat look ok?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Big question might be if this works to keep your attention for more than a second?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Single frame, focused on the water’s surface rather than the “reflection” - if that makes sense.
Nikon D800E, 28-300mm @300mm, f/6.3 1/500th iso 800

4 Likes

Real nice looking abstract, Lon. I quite like it.

Lon, I really like the unique flat color tones you presented here. Also there is just enough variation from top to bottom to hint at the tree trunks. Nicely done!

Yes it holds my attention. Processing looks good to me. Just as a personal preference, I like the top 2/3rds of the image better than the bottom. The darker areas are more subdued. Again just my personal preference.
:vulcan_salute:

This abstract has some unusual texture in the water, which is enough to hold my attention. It is sort of looks like stained glass. This is one of those shots where the light is nice enough that it looks good even with minimal processing. At first I thought it suffered from having no strong element to break up the pattern. But I came to view the brighter patch in the 10 o’clock position as that element. I sort of agree with @Michael_Lowe about cropping a slice from the bottom, the dark brown tones look a little dissonant to my taste.

Lon, yes, the image held my attention for more than a second probably about 45 seconds to a minute. Just enough squiggly stuff and such a strong color with some texture patterns to hold my attention. More color variations would be good, I think bottom is stronger than the top because of that.

Very peaceful abstract here, Lon. Most anything dominated by yellow gets my immediate attention…Nice work as always…:+1:

Its a contemplative type of abstract Lon. It does hold my attention. But the title leaves a lot to be desired. Orange is a strong color, yet this image makes me feel calm and pensive. Nicely done.

Lon, this is the beauty of photography some times , see it , make it, enjoy it.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the comments @Harley_Goldman, @Alan_Kreyger, @Michael_Lowe, @Ed_McGuirk, @Stephen_Stanton, @Paul_Breitkreuz and @Ben_van_der_Sande

Stephen, I may post another version that might fit the bill. I captured a few different images from this same location. Thanks for mentioning.

You’re right Youssef - probably not the best choice of title. Trying to be too cute, but it’s not, really. Thanks for response and honest comments

Title suggestion: Facets of Fall