Autumn Brilliance

Here is an image that I took this past fall along the Blue Ridge Parkway. Red is my favorite color so of course I’m loving this image with all of the reds and oranges. But I also like the variety of color in this scene. This section of the parkway is known for its vibrant color.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments and critiques are welcome! I’m particularly interested in your thoughts on the composition. I’m pleased with it, but am interested to hear other’s thoughts.

Technical Details

Capture Info:
125 mm
f/11 @ 1/20 sec
ISO 100

Processing info: I cloned a few distracting out-of-focus leaves along the edge of the frame. I also adjusted mid-tone contrast using TK’s luminosity masks and made a slight adjustment to vibrance using TK’s vibrance masks.

3 Likes

Hi Brian, I really like this image. It has a nice, soft light and the colors don’t look too saturated. Wonderful. The composition is good. I don’s see any different comps or crops so enjoy this one as it is.

Cheers,
David

A nice slice of fall for sure. I find myself studying the bare tree near the center more than all the color though. Not sure if that’s my failure or the photo’s. And when I say failure, that might be too strong. But if this is about the color, I think the bare/light trees are too eye-catching for me to concentrate on the foliage.

This is a very nice fall scene Brian! I love the mix of colors. I also like the bare tree and don’t find it distracting. The comp works as is. My only suggestion - when I look at the large version, the yellow tree just above the bare tree grabs my eyes a bit too much. I suggest reducing the yellow luminosity a touch to reduce the brightness, but just a little.

Just as an experiment, I would try lowering the exposure just a tad.

Wonderful color Brian. That leafless tree adds a lot for me as a focus.

This was my first thought too.

A very nice fall image with all its pleasent colors. The dead tree adds a lot to the quality of the image.