Alternative take for the famous King Tide wave spot - Cape Disappointment

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This was taken during low tide on the famous big wave photo spot, which I was also doing when the tide was high.
The light was pretty beautiful but not much interesting going on the sky per se. But I liked how the light hit the rocks, smaller waves and the lighthouse.

Specific Feedback

I struggled a bit with the composition, this is actually a horizontal crop from a vertical photo (thanks to high MP cameras make it possible), so thoughts on the composition are welcome.

Also general comments of the post processing would be nice, it’s hard to decide when you are done :slight_smile:

Technical Details

Nikon D850, Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 S lens
at ISO 64 | 102mm | f/11 | 1/2s

Some basic adjustments in LR but mainly edited in PS. Dual processed the photo for sky and foreground, removed a car and few persons next to lighthouse, some luminosity mask guided dodge & burning

Hi Kasperi!

Welcome to NPN from a fellow PNWer!

I love this image! Not only is it well done, but one sees so many of the cliched “big wave below the lighthouse” that it is refreshing to an image that takes a different approach. The soft colors are beautiful, and the shutter speed you chose for the water looks perfect to my eye. Nice job on including Oregon in the as well, it gives a nice depth to the image.

1 Like

:wave:
Thanks John for taking a look at it and I’m glad you liked it.
You made me realize I did not put the shutter speed to the description (edited now), it was 1/2s .

1 Like

Kasperi,

Welcome to NPN! Great to have you here and what a beautiful image post.

Ditto pretty much to everything John wrote. I personally haven’t been to this location, but it’s popularity is well photographed! I’m guessing you hopefully captured some “big wave” images, but kudos for capturing and creating a more serene and lovely image of this location. The light is beautiful, the colors soft and I too love the texture and motion of the surf. The sky/clouds may not be dramatic, but that’s not what this image is about, so it works beautifully.

Beautifully seen and captured. Welcome aboard and we look forward to more images and your participation.

Lon

1 Like