Amakihi

Amakihi is an endemic bird. This is the Big Island subspecies.

What technical feedback would you like if any? I utilized Keith Bauer’s suggestion to cut the color cast. Difficult lighting with greenish and yellowish shade in the foreground and bright harsh light in the BG, but much better than birdless torrential rain. (see other entries) to the topic of endemic birds of Hawaii.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: iso 4000, 100-400 & 1.4X at 560mm, f8 1250th, A7R4, handheld, 30% of full frame, fill at -2

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Hi David,

The lighting is provides a lot of interest to this photo. I especially like the bokeh which frames the head of the Amakihi perfectly…Jim

A pretty bird, David. I think you made the lighting look good, no greenish in it to my eye. The bokeh does frame his head nicely as Jim mentioned.

I think the bokeh adds a really interesting artistic perspective to the image…I really like it. Does the eye of the bird look a little light? I"d be tempted (on my monitor) to darken it slightly. Very interesting capture - definitely not your average bird portrait and I like its distinctive qualities.

A very cool pose, David, and I do like he background and how you handled the lighting. I’m glad you finally got a chance to get to the endemics.

An interesting pose and I like the composition.
And the nice complimentary colours add a nice feel to the photo.
At first I thought it was a winter scene until I saw the post is a Hawaiian bird.