Amber Glow

This is an image taken a few years ago on the Bloodvein River that I never got around to working on. Lately, I’ve been doing a lot of black and white photography, mostly street and people but my attention seems to be coming back to colour. In this image I decided to explore the gradient tool in Photoshop and experiment a little with gradient mapping. In addition to any other comments or critique, I’d be particularly interested in how you feel about the colour palette in this image where I was trying bring out the sense of early morning glow.

Kerry, I love the calm, peaceful feeling this image conveys. I love shooting in fog like this, and I think your processing of color and exposure has captured the mood and feeling of warm sunrise light being filtered and diffused by fog. The colors here work really well for me. I think the composition works well as presented, and I do like the use of negative space on the right, showing that much fog helps to create a mood in the image.

My primary suggestion for a tweak would be to slightly burn down the bright rock on the left. I think it would focus more attention on the colors in the trees and vegetation if that rock wasn’t so bright.

I think this is really gorgeous, Kerry. I agree about burning the brighter rock face on the left. But another thing that came to mind is the cooler areas on the UL corner. It seems to be a somewhat disjointed area from the rest of the scene and thus somewhat pull my eyes away from the scene. Perhaps warming it a touch will make it less of a distraction?

@Ed_McGuirk, @Adhika_Lie. Thank you both for your input. These are the kind of details that I often miss when working so closely with an image. Small details, to be sure, but they do make a difference. Here’s a revised version taking into account your suggestions.

1 Like

This image reminds me of those paintings that came from the Hudson River school of art in the previous century. It has that quintessentially American romantic vision of nature of that period. I’m not sure if that was your intention or not. From a compositional point of view I appreciate the sky that’s peering through the upper branches on the left. It keeps things from being half light and half dark.

I agree Igor, this image has that Hudson River look and feel. But in this case I suspect @Kerry_Gordon would say it has that quintessentially Canadian romantic vision of nature. Kerry, I like the rework, the changes are subtle but a nice improvement.

@Igor_Doncov @Ed_McGuirk . Well, the quality of the light is certainly reminiscent of the Hudson Valley School but I would say, the spirit of this image and most of the landscapes I do are more deeply connected to Canada’s own Group of Seven, particularly Tom Thomson (who wasn’t strictly speaking, a member.) If you are not familiar with the Group of Seven I would definitely point you, and all landscape photographers, in their direction.

1 Like

Thanks Kerry, I am not familiar with the Group of Seven, but will definitely look them up. :canada: :canada: :canada:

I like the palette enormously, Kerry. It has for me the feel of Romantic period paintings with their dark forests shrouded in mist. Very well composed, with its invitation to explore the depths of the scene.

Thanks, Ian. That is certainly the feel I was aiming for.