Ambush

The spider was hiding out in one of my potted flowers. I did get some better shots of the spider but I had to move and ended up with bg problems.
I don’t mind this one. Interesting how the red light from the flower is picked up by the spider.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
R5, 100mm macro, f/5.6, 1/60, ISO800, tripod. cropped a bit LR and PS to remove a few bg items.

Opps. I ended up with two of the same image trying to get it to enlarge.

David, it is amazing how nature works. These guys hide out under the petals, and know when dinner is served. The unsuspecting prey doesn’t see them, and lands for their last time. I like how the flower is tilted, and even the brighter background. To me, the face of the spider isn’t sharp. Looks like to me your focus hit on his legs. With macro, the DOF is very shallow, especially at 5.6. It probably was hard to see his face too, with him shaded under the petal. I was just out in our garden taking images of, at first, I didn’t know what, just saw some movement, but it was so tiny, I couldn’t see what it was. Turns out to be the tiniest jumping spider I ever saw. Talk about not getting his face sharp, I couldn’t even tell one end from the other. He was the size of an ant. This was certainly a nice composition, and hopefully you have a shot (even with a distracting background) with the face nice and sharp, or, another photo opportunity with him. It would be even a great shot if you catch him with his prey. Wish you the best.

1 Like

Oh darn. I needed to have mentioned that I focused on the legs leaving the head and body oof to add to the sinister spider hiding out.
Haha. No matter. My plan did not work.
I did do a focus stack to get as much of spider in focus as I could but just did not like bg.
Thanks for the nice response Shirley. Macro does serve up another world.

1 Like

Here is an image from my proposed 20 image stack! I let the trial stacker expire. I cropped pretty tight on this one.

Notice the other spider legs just creeping up at bottom.

1 Like

The first shot is good but the second shot is excellent. Good work.

I really like the second shot, David. The face and eyes are in focus. It is hard to get all in focus because of the lack of DOF in macro, but the face and eyes are most important. Well done.

I prefer the second as well. Nicely done environmental portrait.