American Avocet and Short-Billed Dowitchers + REWORK

Rework for infinite avocets:

Original:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I’m not sure if these are short-billed dowitchers, that’s my best guess. This was taken at the amazing Boliver Flats Shorebird Sanctuary in Texas. Thousands of avocets and other birds; I liked this shot because the background was far enough away to blur. And the avocet surrounded by the little guys.

Specific Feedback

The blurred background, enough? Too much? How to make the foreground birds, especially the little ones, stand out a bit more if needed?

Technical Details

Fuji X-H2S, 1/1600s, f/8.0, ISO 1000, 558.5mm on an XF150-600mm lens

2 Likes

Debbie, this is a great image. The huge avocet with the smaller birds in great focus with the blurred huge flock of avocets is classic. You mentioned trying to get the in focus birds to stand out more, and I think a 40-50% opacity gradient, or vignette would work to help highlight them and slightly darken the birds in back. I hope you don’t mind. I gave it a shot at 45% opacity with a horizontal linear gradient.

1 Like

A really nice image of these birds, Debbie. I’ve never been lucky enough to see a crowd of Avocets like this. I understand your desire to make the foreground birds stand out and I think Ed had a pretty good solution. My usual method is to select the birds I’m interested in and put them on a separate layer (masking works just as well), then I apply a little boost in micro-contrast, a touch of exposure boost and just a boost int saturation to them (or it). It usually makes them pop very nicely. I have to admit that Ed’s solution is a lot simpler.

I really love the mob of Avocets in the background here, so if this were mine, I’d probably crop down from the top to the Avocets to give the illusion that they might go on forever.

1 Like

@Ed_Williams I like this solution, it does work well. Thanks!

@Dennis_Plank Thanks! I’d never seen a big crowd of avocets either and I like your suggestion of cropping to make the crowd look even bigger…

1 Like

Cool shot. I like the rework with the Avocet background. Nice detail and pose of the main Avocet.

1 Like

@Allen_Brooks Thank you!

I like the rework a lot, Debbie

1 Like

@Dennis_Plank Infinite avocets!

nice job with all the changes. A great opportunity to see all these birds together.

1 Like

@David_Schoen Thanks, it was an incredible morning :grin:

Hi Debbie, a fine scene you captured and the infinite avocet version takes it up a notch. Good selective focus on the front avocet and well positioned in the frame. Nicely done.

1 Like

@Allen_Sparks Thank you!