(More) Avocets

Hope you are in the mood for another avocet image. Here’s one of a different scene captured the same day as my previous images. This was taken later in the day when the avocets were done feeding and starting to turn in for the night. I really liked the light and overall scene, which I found very peaceful.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any/all

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Originally there were only three avocets - the rear avocet walked into the scene just as I started photographing. I was exploring with different focus points among the four birds. This is one with the central two birds in focus. I am interested to know what you think.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
840mm on tripod, 1/2500s@F7.1 (-1/3Ev), ISO1000. Cropped a bit from top and bottom. Cloned out a few oof bugs and debris on the water. Processed for the web.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I am always down for more avocet pictures. I think they are some of the prettiest bird out there. Getting four birds doing the same thing in one frame is hard. I think you have done well here. I only wish the leftmost bird in the back is separated from the one in front. I think it will make a very nice symmetry. I really like how the two birds in the front are sortof looking at each other, very intimate. Processing wise, I think the color gets just a tad too warm for my taste but it’s really a personal preference.

The light and color are fantastic, Govind. I like the scene, but I think it would be even better without the out-of-focus bird on the right, though I think that would require a bit of cloning to get the framing right and I don’t know how you feel about that.

Exceptional warm color and excellent POV. Yeah, it would be nice if there was separation on the left 2 birds but the light, reflections and whole package, make it for me.

The colors and low POV really makes this shot for me. Nice job.