One last avocet

… but with a stilt in the frame for a change. I wanted to post this image soon after my last one, but had to go on some trips the last two weeks. As with the last image, the two birds were just a little too far away from each other to get them sharp in the same frame.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any/all

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any/all. Am interested to know if the centered composition works here.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

840mm, 1/1250s@F8, ISO1000. Cloned out a few oof bugs and debris on the water. Cropped a bit from the top and bottom for composition.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I still like the shot, with the nice lighting and colors. The reflections are a nice bonus.

1 Like

Lovely lighting and reflection Govind, I might crop this to more of a squarish image to get the birds larger in the frame.

1 Like

I love the light and the poses, Govind. It looks like there might be a processing artifact on the reflection of the Avocet-the face looks like it was cloned over with a straight, sharp vertical transition from reflection to water.

1 Like

Nice look at the birds and love the light. I wonder how this might look with a tight crop, eliminating the reflections?

1 Like

Thank you all for your feedback.

@Dennis_Plank: I did not do any cloning in that part of the image. The only areas were I worked are all close to the middle. I think it’s just the way the reflection turned out - the stilt’s is also similar, but not as sharply defined.

Interesting, Govind. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a reflection do that. There must have been a cross ripple that doesn’t show.