Black-necked stilt-1

This is an image from late this summer. This time of the year, most adult stilts had flown away but the youngsters were still hanging around. This bird was part of a trio of juveniles that were feeding close to the shore. They seemed a little nervous when they first saw me but did not fly away, eventually even preening just a few feet away from me. I liked this image for the light and interesting pose.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any/all. I find it tricky to properly image black and white birds in bright light, but the light direction helped here. I am interested to know if the whites look over-exposed.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any/all.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
840mm, 1/3200s@F7.1, ISO500. Full-frame, processed for the web.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Great shot. Vantage point well chosen, and the pose is great as well. The whites look good to me. I may be tempted to lower the contrast a tiny bit to get a ‘softer’ feel to the image, but other than that just awesome ! Cheers, Hans

1 Like

Really nice pose and the exposure looks great to me - nice whites. I like the calm water. A photogenic bird well captured.

1 Like

An interesting pose and good detail. It stands out well against the blue.

1 Like

What a gorgeous pose, Govind. A stunning image.

1 Like

How did you talk him into stretching that leg out behind him??? That really was icing on the cake in this shot. I also love the eye level view that you shot it from, and the reflections. Stunning is a good word.

1 Like

Hi,

A very nice capture in bright light. I have no nits for you and I like this image as presented. Well done…Jim

1 Like