Black-necked Stilt

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Another from a boat in Cano Negro. We had a substitute captain that morning and he was very good. The water here was too shallow to use the motor, so he poled us in as far as he could get the boat.

Specific Feedback

Anything. I did a poor job of framing this in camera, so the composition might be a bit awkward.

Technical Details

Sony A1, FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 840 mm, f/9, 1/8000, iso 2000 (forgot to change it as the light came up). Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 5749x4345. Taken February 23rd at 7:48 a.m.

1 Like

This is a great shot Dennis. It is so hard to control the bright whites and get any kind of detail out of the blacks. Nicely done. I also like the geometry of the reflection with the stilt’s beak in the water and those pink legs.

Nicely captured Dennis. I think the composition is fine with a bit more space ahead of the bird than behind. Nice reflection and pose with the raised foot. Hoping for more of catchlight in the eye but it seems to be well lit enough to bring the bird to life IMO. Nice image.

I really like the scene. For me, the water and the background add a lot and, of course, great detail a good pose.

Gorgeous bird, colors, reflection. At first I thought the eye was closed so I would be tempted to add a catchlight (not to the reflection!) - but this may not be to most people’s taste.

This is a really beautiful shot of one of my favorite birds. The only thing I would mention is not much of a catchlight (which happens to me a lot). Sometimes I will add a very small dot of white when that happens, but as @Mike_Friel mentioned this may or may not be to your liking. Great image.