Black-necked stilt-4

Another stilt image taken on the same day as my last one. This time, it is a juvenile that ventured a little too close when I was photographing some avocets. I have never seen one of these close by and really liked the patterns on the plumage as well as its mud-covered legs. For some reason, I was reminded of gangly teenagers when I saw this bird - it had the same awkwardness in its movements.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any/all.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any/all. I am particularly interested to know what you think of the position of the stilt in the frame and if this is too tight. I wasn’t too fond of the foreground, but this is unfortunately where the stilt chose to feed.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
840mm, 1/500s@F9, ISO800. Full frame, processed and resized for the web.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Such a lovely bird, Govind. And you were able to show the juvenile plumage really well. I like seeing that pattern on its back. The light is getting kinda harsh here but I think still acceptable, the light direction though is somewhat problematic. But you have processed the image well. My main concern, and you are probably aware of it based on what you wrote, that it is too tight in the frame. I think you have the right amount of FG but I think I could see more on the top and on the sides.

Great close-up look. The OOF foreground looks good; agree with Adhika that there could be a bit more room on top and right side.

The foreground doesn’t bother me a bit, Govind. Nice job on the stilt and I like its pose. It does feel a bit tight on the top, but this one would be really easy to add canvas to up there. This is the first juvenile image I remember seeing.

Hi Govind, very nice feeding pose you caught and I think you handled the challenging light well. Foreground looks fine to me. As others, I could see adding room on top.