Stilt-5

Another stilt image, this time of an adult from 2018. This was part of a small group that flew out of a road-side ditch when I got down to photograph, but came back a few minutes later. It was constantly calling after that but kept venturing closer, so I don’t think it was particularly stressed by my presence. The other stilts returned too, but were more hidden by the vegetation.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any/all. This was taken when there were wildfires and smoke all around the region, so the light had a reddish cast. I reduced the red levels, but left a little of it. I would like to know if it is high.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I really liked the reeds in the frame and would like to know what you think. I would also like to know if the absence of the head in the reflection detracts the image.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
840mm, 1/200s@F8, ISO800, Full-frame, processed for the web.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Hi,

I wish the lower part of the beak was not blurred by motion, but if that was your intention then I accept that portion of the photo as presented. The lighting is warm and bright and you may want to tweak down the saturation slightly. I like the pose and comp. This one is a bird that I would like to photograph one of these days. Well done…Jim

Nice shot and a bird I also would like to add to my list.

Assuming you wanted the reds out, I removed a little more of the color cast and think it helped not only the whites in the bird but the rest of the image as well. I basically took out enough to get good whites. The head is in the reflection by inference plus the rest of the reeds and such makes the reflection less dominant. Doesn’t bother me as my eye was drawn to the main subject and not the reeds or the reflection.

Nice shot

Basically, I really like this. I like the softness of the background and how the stilt stands out; how the red legs contrast with the green background. The comp and pose works well. The lack of the head in the soft reflection is fine.

I enjoy the painterly approach. Good DOF but I might wish to compare a version with a tad more DOF in the foreground. Your approach here is reminiscent of a certain Dutch photographer many of us admire.

Great composition, and to answer your question: I do like the reeds in the frame as well. If it were mine I’d probably try and desaturate the image a tiny bit. Other than that a fine image as presented ! Reading David’s remark it can hardly be a surprise that the image appeals to me :blush: . Cheers, Hans