Stilts at Merced National Wildlife Refuge

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any feedback welcome.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

How does the high-key image work? The composition?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Really like the high key look. The difference in backgrounds is maybe to great, almost like seeing two images side by side. Still, refreshingly unique, thanks for the perk.

Thanks, Steven. I did wonder if I should make it two images?

I’d leave it as it is (Terrific!), because from a purely graphic design standpoint my eye sezz the silhouettes of the branches on the right need the “weight” of the darker ripples on the left. I keep looking back at it, and my eye starts on the left and flows cleanly to the right for a “trajectory” through the image. Cut in half the right side still stands up well, but the left doesn’t work for me.

I’ll repeat: Great image, and better for being unusual and engaging.

I too like this image. I might crop from the left to eliminate the bird so close to the edge.

Pleasing high key/high contrast look. I like the distribution but agree that cutting off the left Stilt would make the composition better.

Welcome to NPN and the Avian Forum, Irene. I really like the high key effect and the stilts are perfect subjects for it. I agree with those saying the left most stilt should go. If the stilt on the right didn’t intersect the pint where that interesting branch enters the water, I think I’d really love a composition that just included the three stilts and the branch. However, I still like this as posted.

What a great image design! Always love seeing something different. I really like the high key look, and as Dennis said, stilts are the perfect subjects for it. I could def see a version without the far left bird. I might also experiment with cropping to where you lose the bird on the right and left.

Hello, Irene, excellent shot to my taste. Love the graphic look, and the subjects are nicely distributed. The branches are awesome in themselves. Have to love it ! Cheers, Hans