Foraging Avocet - II

This is another image from the same scene as my previous post. Here you can see the avocet capturing one bug while it has already has another close to its throat. While the previous image captured the scene better with the bugs flying about, I liked this image more for a (IMO) better position of the subject in the frame. I also liked the water drops at end of the beak as the avocet snagged the second bug.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any/all

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any/all. @Dennis_Plank had mentioned the previous image was a little tight in the upper corner. I am interested to know if you think this is the case here.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
600mm on tripod, 1/1600s@F9 (-1/3Ev), ISO640. Full frame.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Another great Avocet image, Govind. While the flies showed up a little better in the first one, I really like this pose and I think it mitigates the need for more room on top, though if you’re not entering it in a contest, I’d still be tempted to add just a touch of canvas up there so it’s about equal to the amount to the left of the tail tip-but that’s probably just my taste. When I have a strong diagonal in the subject, like you do here, I kind of like the imaginary line to intersect a corner, but I know others who abhor that idea.

1 Like

Another great shot with such nice detail. I like the way you shooting from down at his level, and the background is out of focus nicely, and the colors are very pleasing to the subject.

1 Like

I love the actions here, Govind and it is nicely processed. I think it is an optical illusion of some kind but I would suggest a little bit of CCW rotation. I think it is that green that “splashes” down a little more on the right side of the image that makes it look like it’s leaning to the right a little.

1 Like

Love the eye sharpness, story telling and the fact that you got down low and gave it space in front.
Personally I think you could consider some breathing room all around
Nicely done!

1 Like

I really like this for the overall composition, colors, and detail. Great pose. I’m okay with the upper left corner as the eye is directed, in any case, towards the head. Nice work.

1 Like

Really superb clarity, pose, BG, and light. POV could be a little lower but that may not have been possible. Agree about CCW rotation needed. But overall, a superb shot.

1 Like

Thank you all for your feedback.

@Dennis_Plank: Nice compositional tip - I should try that out in some of my tightly framed images.

@Adhika_Lie, @David_Schoen: I see what you mean by the CCW rotation. I used a level in my camera when I took this shot and confirmed it with the focal plane being horizontal. But I agree it looks a little odd with the closest water ripple lines being sloping downward in the frame. If I level the water lines, the focal plane looks slightly skewed making the image appear odd (maybe because I am now looking for it :thinking:?).