Foraging Avocet

This is an image from last month when it was still hot and dry here in Utah. This avocet was chasing and feeding on the large number of midges and brine flies along the edges of a lake. As it chased them down, the flies would rise up in a small cloud and settle at a different location. The air was filled with the hum of these flies from where I was photographing.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any/all

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any/all

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
1/1250s@F9, 600mm on tripod, ISO640, -1/3Ev, full-frame. Resized and processed for this forum. I cloned out a bright log in the background which I felt was distracting.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Excellent pose and detail, Govind, and I love the fly in the bill. I do think a bit more room on the top would be helpful and you could sacrifice a little of the out of focus mud on the bottom to keep the proportions.

1 Like

Superb detail, color and exposure! The bug in the beak is a great bonus as are the rest of the bugs all over the scene! It is a little tight at the top but for me it’s a minor issue. Very nice capture!

1 Like

Really like the pose and the detail and colors are great. Like the background colors and all those bugs add a lot to the “story”, especially with one in its mouth.

1 Like

A really great shot, Govind. The details and color is superb. The bug in the mouth is a great bonus for sure. I also love seeing others flying around so you know that is what the bird is feeding on.

1 Like