Avocet with fish

I shot this image the same day and at the same place as my last sora image. This avocet caught what appears to be an young carp, but had difficulty swallowing it. Other avocets around started chasing it and it got pretty close trying to me as it ran away from them. In this image, it is trying to maneuver the fish to swallow it whole. I got a few images of the activity and liked this one for the suspended fish in the avocet’s beak.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Like my last image, this was sidelit. There are a couple of wet spots on the fish that appear blown. It did not bother me, but I would like to know who the others feel.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I cut off part of the tail as I was trying to get this avocet in frame when it was running around. I am interested in knowing if it appears problematic.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

840mm on tripod, 1/800s@F8, ISO500, +2/3Ev, Full-frame

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Hello, first of all: the action you have frozen is fantastic ! Congrats on that ! Responding to your question, I would definitely have preferred the tail in the frame. But sometimes things like this happen. Cheers, Hans

A great action shot. I feel for the poor fish that is about to go head first down the gullet. Lighting is very nice. I have no problems with the tail cut off. To me, you got the shot, and that is what really matters. I would be proud to call this shot mine!

Great action Govind, I would go darker on this as you have some very bright areas on the forehead and back.