American Bittern with Frog

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

American Bittern some of the most difficult words to capture on camera. They are masters of camouflage. They spend their time in an environment which looks much like they do. They’re quiet they moved slowly but they are beautiful. Here’s one with a frog in its mouth.

Specific Feedback

any

Technical Details

Iso 400, 400mm, 250th,f7.1, A1

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

This is really nice. the only thing I’ve ever gotten them catching are fish so tiny and pale that it’s difficult to even know they’re there. I like the spotlight effect whether it’s natural or done in post processing. Details in the bittern are very good without looking overdone. While the background is busy, I don think I’ve ever seen an image of this species where it wasn’t. It’s just where they live and this one is sufficiently chaotic that it’s almost uniform and doesn’t have much in the way of eye catching elements. If I were in full engineer mode I’d probably remove a few of the grass stems that are more or less horizontal because they interrupt the flow of the rest, but that’s an awfully slippery slope to start on and I usually regret it when I do.

Excellent getting the full bird out in the open with great detail and light. Frog is a nice bonus. Well captured.

Hi David, very nice capture of an elusive subject. I love the camouflage of the bird with the brown reeds. The frog must not have had a chance! Nice details and exposure.