American Dippers of 2019

My favorite American Dipper photos of 2019. I haven’t posted any of these prior to this.

Dipper Time - - A pair of American Dippers were feeding in this small stream so I sat down on the gravel bank and got a variety of photos.

Sony a6500, FE100400GM @ 400mm, ISO-800, f/5.6, 1/800, hand held.

American Dipper Detail - - A close up shot of one of the Dippers. I notice in this shot that it seemed to have some kind of wound (a small hole with feathers pulled out).

Sony a6500, FE100400GM @ 400mm, ISO-800, f/5.6, 1/2500, hand held.

Dipper Dipping - - Caught this one doing it’s thing.

Sony a6500, FE100400GM @ 400mm, ISO-800, f/5.6, 1/1250, hand held.

Dipper Scratcher - - Caught this one as it paused to relieve an itch. I really like the light in this shot. The sun was going down and the rays were streaming through the alders surrounding the stream.

Sony a6500, FE100400GM @ 400mm, ISO-800, f/5.6, 1/2500, hand held.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Gary, I had a fine “Dipper viewing” last fall while sitting quietly by a Montana stream. They are fun to watch. I didn’t get any good shots, it was a bit too far away and in the shade. I especially like #2. It’s an outstanding portrait, with great details and lighting. Yes there is a hole in it’s feathers. #3 is interesting because it catches the bird in action and the water piling up over it’s head is a neat feature.

Some great looks the Dipper, Gary, well done, #2 is very sharp, but all represent a wonderful montage of this unique bird… nice low angle on all of them too.

Some really nice shots of the Dipper, Gary. I had a nice chuckle of the one with the foot up. All are very nice.

Great collection! Love these birds. Nice shots and they sure are enjoyable to watch!

Dipper Dipping is my favorite because I have viewed these quick moving birds dipping and have never been able to capture one like you have here. All are excellent but that one is my favorite.