American Goldfinch, male

The goldfinch is just starting to migrate through. I don’t see them every day but soon that’s all I will see or so it seems. The males in breeding plumage are actually difficult to photograph from the standpoint of avoiding blowout and oversaturation in the yellow plumage and then getting some detail in the black plumage.

What technical feedback would you like if any? The sparse plumage on the right side of image flank does appear to have a green cast perhaps. I tried several methods less successfully. I probably should have just made an adjustment layer and cut the green. But it may have been there and I am just imagining it.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: iso-2500, 100-400 at 400 mm, F8, 2000th, handheld, no flash, cloudy, A7R4

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Hi David, I like the composition of this image even though I think taking a little off the left would also work. The yellow looks okay to me especially how the light is hitting the bird. I like the perch with lichen and the background. I notice some post processing artifacts around the bird’s feet. Nice image.

A nice composition with a good head turn and detail. I like the perch and background.
They’re just started coming to our feeder, which is a bit puzzling as the books say they’re in the state year round and I saw a flock in January at a wildlife area just 7 miles from my home.

The migration seems to be really hit or miss this year. Mostly miss. Many of the species I normally see are not showing up by this time of the year. Perhaps it has something to do with all the social distancing and staying at home. The birds may be just happy where they normally go to migrate. I would think there would be less distraction for the birds and more food.

Hi David
This is a very lovely Goldfinch. The artifacts David pointed out seem to be on the full length of the under side of the branch. Maybe it is something coming off the branch?
Peter

The artifact comes from topaz De Noise AI which regularly does this around sharp details on the borders of the main subject. It is not too difficult to clean up. I was lazy.

Very nice David, I like the use of negative space here. You are correct the range of colors is very difficult and you have done quite well with that here.