American Goldfinch, male

Within the last week we have gone from one or two goldfinches to about 20. They seem to be somewhat timid but there is a lot of color if you like yellow.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Wish I had more space on the left side. I’m not a fan of centering images like this one.

Pertinent technical details or techniques: iso-500, 100-400 mm at 400 mm, F6 .3 and would probably be sharper at F7 .1, 1600th, fill flash at -2 and yes it is slightly obvious the flash was used. Handheld, A7r4, partially cloudy.

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

A very nice pose, nice perch and lovely complimentary bg. Well done. I am not sure what it is about the detail. It is there but not really distinct sort of like it is a big crop. Or could be my eyes. I like the moss. They are a pretty bird and it is nice you have lots around. It does not look too centered to me. There is more room in front than behind. I think it is fine.

Hi David, the head around the eye looks sharp so it looks like critical focus there was achieved. To your point, the rest of the body seems to lack fine feather detail. I like the mossy perch. Similar to what you state, I could see a composition with more on the left (if you had it).