American Goldfinch Portrait

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Another from a week ago in the blind. This is an absurdly large crop and there’s a bit of fringing showing in places, but I liked the way it showed off the plumage. This guy had not been bathing (for some reason juvenile Goldfinches seem to love getting wet, but the adults don’t bathe much), but they love to drink directly from a drip-often in very awkward positions. Hence the wet plumage on the breast.

Specific Feedback

Aside from the fringing and a bit of noise in the background, any other issues you see?

Technical Details

Sony A1 FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 840 mm, tripod with gimbal head, f/9, 1/800, iso 3200, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 2345x1729. Taken June 11 at 1:16 PM under cloudy skies.

I find Goldfinches difficult to capture “correctly”. I was just photographing one this afternoon I may post later, and I always seem to have issues with that yellow color. It just seems to me to be difficult to capture and portray accurately, but you have pulled it off, here. Maybe that high key background is the solution? Anyway, I see the issues you mention, but I like the details in the feathers, and the color.

Nice close-up of this colorful finch, Dennis. Good look at the bright plumage. Besides the noise you have already alluded, the issue I see here is the background looks a little unnatural, especially in the full-size version. I think it may be the lighting on the finch compared to the bright background. I’m curious to see what others think.

Excellent close-up look at the finch. The detail and color look spot on.

Hi Govind. The background was quite bright with some very out of focus fir sprigs here and there and bright cloudy sky behind them.