Juvenile American Goldfinch

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

One from the blind yesterday. Personally, I find the plumage of some of the juveniles more beautiful than that of the adults of this species.

Specific Feedback

Once again, the background is ferns in the foreground and dead grass in the background, but in this case I think the variations are mellow enough that I don’t find it distracting-comments?

Technical Details

Sony A1, FE 200-600 @ 600 mm, tripod with gimbal head, f/6.3, 1/200, iso 1000, manual exposure. Processed in L & PS CC. Cropped to 5485x4021. Taken yesterday at 12:59 PM.

aww, what a pristine little creature. Such delicate hues compared to adults so I think you’re right about their beauty. I’ve always found winter males to be striking as well. Plus they all seem less ornery. This year I spied a pair on my feeder and the female was being all petulant and whiny for the male to feed her - she acted like a fledgling demanding food. It was kind of funny, but he was willing enough.

Background seems fitting given the light and saturation in your subject. I might take up the blacks in the branch just a touch, but really that’s just being picky. The feathers look so perfect and like I could feel the texture if I touched my screen. Terrific job.

Beautiful image Dennis. The bird is rendered wonderfully with great tones and detail. I find the background with the pale beige mixed with green quite complimentary to the subject. Well done.

Gorgeous little bird with wonderful detail! I’m probably just OCD but the brighter areas at the top pull my eye out of the frame. The tonalities at the bottom are gorgeous and I tried to get a little of that feeling by adding some color to the neutrals at the top. Clumsy effort but just to illustrate: