American Goldfinch

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I like the subtle winter plumage of these birds so thought I would share. This one visited my backyard set up. Attracted by sunflower seeds.

Specific Feedback

Any

Technical Details

Canon R7, Sigma 150-600 Contemporary, tripod
ISO 2500, f10, 1/320s

1 Like

Oh I do, too. They’re gorgeous all year, but the winter feathers have some element of burnishing or smoldering that the bright breeding colors don’t have. I love the wing bars and the tack sharp feathers. BG looks fabulous, too. What a little beauty!

Beautiful, Allen. Looks like a first year bird to my eye. One of my favorite bird plumages. While they say we have them overwintering here, we see very few compared to the summer numbers.

Nice image, with lovely matching colors of the bird and the lichen on the branch. If it’s a set-up indeed and you get them more often, you may wanna try for a slightly thinner branch , but other than that fine as presented to me! Best, Hans

This image comes together well with the complementary background and perch and the excellent detail in the goldfinch.