Juvenile American Goldfinch

Description:

Goldfinches have an amazing array of plumage coloration and this youngster has to be one of the most beautiful I’ve ever encountered.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Anything. I had it pretty low int he frame originally, so I used content-aware crop to add some canvas to the bottom while trimming left, right and top.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? No.

Sony A1, FE200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 840 mm, tripod with Gimbal head, f/9, 1/200, iso 1250, fill flash at -2 EV, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Minimal processing: Just the crop in PS and slight enhancement of the face with the local adjustment brush in LR. Cropped to 6464x4592. Taken yesterday at 12:41 PM under overcast skies.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

A beauty for sure. You do something I do as well with my wildlife photos - pay special attention to faces and eyes with exposure. This one looks spot on. Such a pointy little beak. Adding canvas to the bottom was a good idea, it balances the composition and that background is just too good to waste.

A beautiful capture of one of our most beautiful native birds, Dennis. Nice perch, pose, and background. Well done.

Agreed – wonderful capture of a beautiful bird! I’d be tempted to try to brighten the eye a bit and add a catchlight.

Hi Dennis
You are right about the coloring and the head turn and eye contact just add to this photograph.
Nice work.
Peter

Really nice head turn and detail. Well composed.

I agree the pose and head turn are perfect. Awesome.