American Goldfinch

Nothing very fancy, but when I reviewed the photos from this session, the lighting on a series of this Goldfinch really stood out for me. This perch is above one of my small pools and there was a shaft of sun reflecting off the pool to light the underside of the bird. In some shots reflections from ripples caused by the drip going into the pool created nice additional lights, but this pose seemed to go very well with the lighting so I decided to process it first.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Sony a6500, FE200-600 @ 576 mm, tripod with ball head and Sidekick mount, f/8, 1/320, iso 2000, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Noise reduction with Neat Image, Just a touch of feather enhancement with Topaz Detail 3 as I wanted to maintain the soft look of the bird. I also softened the dark green look of the out of focus fir branches along the top. Cropped to 4880x3656. Taken August 17th at 1:58 pm in the shade.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Really nice sweet photo of this little Goldfinch Dennis. Just love looking at your images of birds, truly wonderful.

I really like this one, Dennis. Sweet light, and a very nice complimentary BG. He looks like he is contemplating about something.

Hi Dennis
I agree with Linda and Shirly. Nice work.
Peter