An Old Favorite

A juvenile American Goldfinch. I’ve said it before on this site, I think, but I actually prefer the plumage of the juveniles in this species to the gaudier colors of the adult males in breeding plumage. It just feels richer to me and blends so well with the late summer palette when these birds are around. It’s utterly amazing how they can disappear into the foliage of a tree.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything. I cloned and painted over some stray sprigs of the spent Crocosmia that forms the perch.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

7DII, Sigma 150-600 C @ 600 mm, hand held, f/8, 1/1600, iso 1000, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to a 7 x 6 aspect ratio. Full height. Taken yesterday at 7:12 pm.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Dennis, a very fine image here. Your placement of the bird leaving some space to the right is excellent. Your follow up cloning and overall post processing looks very well done too…:+1:

No nits here Dennis. Nice and sharp and agree that the cloning strengthened the comp…Jim

An excellent portrait of this beautiful bird, Dennis. Love everything about it. :+1::+1:

Really pleasing color here. I like the pose and the diagonals from both the perch and the bird. Excellent background

Beautiful light in this image, Dennis. The goldfinch stands out very well against the darker background. Your cloning and patch up looks good - I am unable to discern any signs of it in the image. I would also be tempted to explore other compositions, particularly landscape ones.