Among the Dead and Dying -Part 2 Cars

Shot some IR 720 Nano Hoya Filter. There are only three cars in a graveyard of about 12 trucks and they are relegated to the back row. I think the one to the left is a '52 or '53 Ford and the one to the right is a Chrysler.

Specific Feedback Requested

I’ve been tempted to buy a converted IR digital camera but I don’t shoot enough IR to justify the expense. I think these work pretty well but would like other opinions.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
D850, 17-35 @24mm, f/8, 47 seconds, ISO 31

Did the first part of the processing in PS with SEP2, yellow filter, then took it back into ACR and used the masking tools to isolate differing parts of the cars for contrast and the foliage for both contrast and brightness, then used an Urban Architecture 06 preset filter to build a little more differentiation between the fore and background leaves. Lastly, I used a ColorEfex Pro2 Bleached bypass filter with a little creative dodging and burning.

I think it does and sometimes try using the IR preset in Lightroom for the same reason - seems silly to convert my old camera when I don’t do this much. Hadn’t thought about add in a physical filter, but that looks to be a reasonable option, too.

I like how you’ve isolated that far truck using this technique. The feel is light, but solid if you follow. It isn’t grungy or crusty, something a lot of people go for with this kind of shot. Mixing it up is good IMO.

1 Like

Does ACR have the same IR preset as LR? I don’t use LR at all for anything.

Probably it does. Look I think it’s under the B&W section.

1 Like

Yes, ACR does have the IR Preset. Just found it and played around with it. Not too bad. Chris check the upper right corner of the ACR window. It’s the fifth item down. Or select

NIK filters also has an IR filter that I’ve used in the past…but I don’t have them loaded right now.

I have a 720nm filter too, and use it occasionally. Like you I can’t see converting a camera. The main benefit though would be the ability to shoot at much shorter shutter speeds. The IR Filter on a regular camera takes much longer to expose the image…requiring a tripod…

By the way, I really like how this image turned out. Well done sir.

1 Like

A nice result with an interesting subject! My eye wants to wander around in the trees near the top – I’d consider cropping a bit up there. The cars are a pano subject. Do you have a bit more canvas on both sides?

I didn’t have anything on the right and precious little of the left because of a stack of car doors. I did however, find that magic glow David had and as a result can make better IR than going through 60 million edits :smile:

I like the image with the glow sir. Well done.

1 Like

Nice glow to these old abandoned guys. I might clone out the OOF leaves in the upper area right of center?