Infrared in Post Processing

There are a couple of discussions going on about Infrared photography and converting cameras, or using an IR filter, or doing the conversion in post processing.

I have a 720nm for my camera and use it occasionally, but I also convert images in post. Here I used Nik Color Efex Infrared filter “BW Soft” to create that IR glow. I now see that Lightroom and ACR have presets for IR, although it doesn’t seem quite complete yet.

Specific Feedback Requested

I think the NIK effect is pretty realistic. What do you think?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

Fujifilm GFX 50S, 32-64 f/4 @ 36mm, 1/160 sec @ f/11, ISO 400, handheld.

Processed in Capture One then converted to IR B&W in Photoshop/Color Efex.

I like the bottom 2/3 of the image but the buildings/BG don’t appeal to me. I don’t think I can judge the realism with this particular subject. In the right light with the right subject, IR can give a lovely ethereal look.

A few years ago I tried several times to do comparisons, shooting the same scene in color with a Canon 5D3 and an IR-modified 5D2, and then converting the color image to try to give a similar look. I always thought the actual IR was much more interesting. I should try it again with a newer set of bodies and the newest software – I now have a converted 5D3 and the straight 5D4. Both conversions were the LifePixel SuperColor IR. But green leaf season is over. Maybe I can find some moss.

I found that glow I was looking for…

Cool, it was in NIK Color Efex.

1 Like

The effect works very well. I would consider burning down the bright roof areas but otherwise, it looks quite good. Kind of an antique soft focus lens look.