An Alaskan Beach

This was a landscape taken with a 100-400 mm lens. I was on a tour boat headed to the Columbia Glacier in Prince William Sound and was hoping for some amazing landscape photos. Unfortunately, the weather was heavily overcast and the ice in the bay was so thick that we couldn’t get anywhere near the glacier front. Consequently, I swapped the wide angle for the Telephoto and shot some landscapes from a distance. This is a typical rocky beach in the sound except that it had little icebergs all around it from the glacier a few miles away. I love the details in this photo, including a raven and two geese (can you find them?). Thanks to the new size allowances for this site I can post a size that shows off those details so please bring up the large version!

Sony a6500, FE100400GSM @ 229 mm, ISO-100, f/8.0, 1/1000, hand held from a moving boat.

Nice “recovery” of a photo outing Gary! Being familiar with the area, this fairly screeches Prince William Sound. In days of yore I led a program taking youths from around the state to PWS for week-long marine science camps in remote locations. All these years later, I bet you could show this to our alumni, and they’d immediately say PWS. The shorelines are unique, as are the mountains surrounding the fjords. Along with the ice, you captured all the elements in a single frame.

The sharp mix of ice and trees against the soft but recognizable background sets the scene well. I found the geese and the raven fairly quickly in the largest view, where I could reject a dark shadow as not alive. Yes, the new display add a lot to the viewing.

Took a little longer for the geese…I was looking in the ice flow for something white, personal misdirection. Like the various elements at play…wish there was bit more space above the trees in the left center though.

I like this scene, Gary. Very interesting terrain.