An Alaskan Beach

Another re-post, just for this challenge. I was on a glacier cruise from Valdez to the Columbia Glacier and it was an overcast, dull day so I switched from the wide angle lens and used the 100-400 mm to shoot some more intimate landscapes. This is a shot of a spit of land not too far from the glacier (thus all the ice in the water). fyi, there’s a raven and 2 Canadian Geese in the scene if you look closely :slight_smile:

Sony a6500, SEL100400GSM @ 229 mm, ISO-100, f/8.0, 1/1000, hand held from a moving boat.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Gary, Nice image - I too like intimate landscapes. I immediately recognized this as Alaska because of the trees that look like a taiga forest and black spruce. Question: do you think the snow in the right background helps convey what you are communicating in the image? I ask because the viewer’s eye goes to the brightest areas in an image. Thanks for sharing your Alaska adventure.

Gary, This is quite a beach scene… :grin:, it is quite striking. All of the ice and the scraggly trees make for an interestingly stark view. This needs to be viewed large to appreciate. Found the raven and the geese.