Ice Fog Sunrise

I posted this before, in a “Fog” challenge but thought it was a good fit for this challenge also. This was taken along the Glen Highway near Eureka Lodge, Alaska in February as the sun rose behind heavy ice fog at ~ -35° F. I stopped, jumped out, shot a couple very fast frames and jumped back in the truck.

Sony DSC-R1, ISO-160, f/8, 1/160, hand held.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

Great mood, very surreal and it looks cold! My kind of image and I quite like it.

This is a really good image in that it shows what makes Alaskan winters so special.

Gary, for such a brief snap this is excellent. I’m really liking the sense of depth created by the layering of the foggy atmosphere. You got the sun perfectly positioned at the sweet spot in the notch. This immediately reminded me of Werner Herzog’s film Happy People: A Year in the Taiga, an excellent documentary of a magical region, but much too cold for my Southern bones :cold_face:

Gary, this view conveys a great mix of cold and inviting, with the blues in the snowy trees and land contrasting well with the glowing warmth around the sun.

Gary,

It’s one thing to jump out in -35deg conditions for any reason… but quite another thing to actually see, compose and nail a gorgeous image like this. No words required. Gorgeous.

Lon

I think I remember this one from that earlier challenge. Gary. It’s still a winner. An absolutely gorgeous image. Sometimes severe conditions raise inspiration levels-the composition is superb.