An Ancient World

This is the same pond where I saw the Water Striders. There are tons of Salamanders. I took this in the rain and it felt like I was in a mini dinosaur world.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D3400
300mm
ISO 200
f/6.3
1/100
Convert to black and white, cropped, and took out some debris.

naturenessie
2 Likes

Vanessa, the frozen splashes and the two salamanders work well together.

Love this little scene. Salamanders are so fascinating and this little slice of their lives is great. The raindrops are a terrific bit of serendipity. It’s hard to focus down into water sometimes as I’ve learned by trying to photograph crayfish. Nice job.

Thank you! @Mark_Seaver and @_Kris ! I’m glad you like the salamanders. They are so interesting to watch. It was pretty neat in the rain too!

Wow! So cool. I like the story of the mini dinosaur world. My first thought from the small thumbnail preview was they were alligators swimming in a river :slight_smile: Also makes me want to take photos in the rain.

1 Like

@BenM Thanks, Ben! Yeah they did kind of look like alligators. I was always afraid to shoot in the rain for fear of ruining my camera but I just try to do it when it’s not coming down too hard and then I hold it in my coat. Then when I’m in a dry place, after wiping the camera down I take it a part and put it in zip locks with desiccant packs. So far, so good!