A Monster Emerges From Its Domain

Living in headwater streams of the Pacific Northwest, Coastal Giant Salamanders (Dicamptodon tenebrosus) are the largest terrestrial salamander in the world.

I have been trying wide angle macro photos to capture incredible amphibians and reptiles in their habitats. My goal is also to capture the animals in natural light even in their dark environment. Salamanders especially have extremely reflective skin and I want to avoid flash as it adds a ton of glare, and can cause some increased stress on the animal. I am looking for some feedback on how this one turned out.

Nikon D7200, Opteka 15mm macro, 1 second, f16ish, iso 250. Circular polarizer filter.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ā€˜igā€™ and leave your Instagram username below.

@charina.photography

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

I very much like the way the image is presented - salamander in its natural habitat. it shows well how it blends in with its surrounding rocks,. If I have to suggest something, I would prefer a little more room in front of the salamander. My eyes get drawn into the two fallen trees on the top. May be a slice off the top can also help keep the eyes on the salamander. This is more of a personal preference than a critique. Very very nice capture. I try to avoid getting into water to take photos, but I am glad someone does to get images like this.

1 Like

I thought I had wrote a comment for this image. I started writing it, and now that I think about it, I think I did get some comment about abandon, so I must have moved to something else, forgot it, and when closing it gave me a chance and I didnā€™t realize what it was talking about. Anyway, you certainly managed the light well. I think that polarizing filter was a huge help. Nice environmental image, but I think Raviā€™s comment on a bit more space in front would be great. I also find the top of the image, with the bright leaves pulling my eyes, so maybe as Ravi said, crop a bit off the top. A great shot of this little guy in his habitat.

1 Like

Joshua, the details in the salamander, its wetness and how its colors blend with the surrounding rocks all look very good. As far as telling the story about this salamander and its habitat, I think the rocks, the stream and the mossy log take care of that well, without the rest of whatā€™s at the top. Your low angle view also looks good, but I do wonder about how a higher point of view would work. It would let the salamander occupy more of the frame. An ā€œin your faceā€ view from a prone position, might also be interesting and different.

1 Like

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the feedback on the crop, I am going to give that a try. Have a few others to post soon as well :).

Stunning photo! Iā€™ll also agree that more space in front of the creature, would be great. Cropping the top would focus more on the salamander, butā€¦ It would change the nature of the shot. Showing it in its environment is worth a little lack of emphasise on the creature.

Again, beautiful photo, showing a lot of work put into it.

1 Like

With the tighter crop.

1 Like

Joshua: Wonderful scene and a good capture of the salamander. Count me in on wanting a bit more room in front of him. Good call on using the polarizer in this environment. Delightful image. >=))>

1 Like

I think this is a good compromise between showing the surroundings and highlighting the salamander. I like it marginally better than the original, but wide-angle macros do have their own magic.

1 Like