Coastal Giant Salamander (Dicamptodon tenebrosus)

An adult Coastal Giant Salamander in its streamside habitat. Columbia River Gorge, Oregon

This was my first attempt at a focus stack, one foreground and one background. I think I needed another couple of exposures.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Nikon D7200, 15mm, 1.5 seconds, f16, iso 400

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

@charina.photography

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Wow, very nice! I love the detail. Speaking of detail, as I was looking at the full size image and scrolling up and down, it made me wonder if a shorter crop would work, too. When I saw it with less of the foreground rock, bringing the salamander closer to the edge fo the frame, and the top cropped just above the highest part of the stream you can see, it still showed the bigger scene yet highlighted the salamander a little more. That also seemed to de-emphasize the log behind the salamander, which somewhat looks like a GIANT giant salamander at first glance. :slight_smile: Cool scene and technique!

1 Like

I think it’s a great attempt with cool results ! I really liked the effect very much, you can forego some of the foreground.
I agree that you needed couple of more exposures, as the Salamandar is sharp, but the log behind is not and then again BG is sharp.
I’m keen to know, whether you stacked in camera or used some software in post processing ?

1 Like

Absolutely fabulous shot! I hope he will pose for you again some time and you can pull this off with a couple more exposures because indeed the sharpness fluctuates a bit. Still a keeper though!
Grt, Ingrid.

1 Like

Thank you everyone. I really appreciate the feedback and the setup for feedback here. I will try implementing some of the ideas.

Jagdeep, I did the stack in photoshop.